March 24, 2018 - It takes a small army to put together Empty Bowls every year, and we’re extremely grateful to all of the volunteers, soup makers, bowl makers, and sponsors who made this year’s event such a success.
Proceeds from Empty Bowls 2018 are the equivalent of 62,000 meals! They will go to benefit all of our programs and assist those struggling in the Baltimore area to move beyond poverty.
170 volunteers + 1,500 guests + 600 gallons of soup = a great way to spend a Saturday and help those in need
Eat soup and help others
The "Empty Bowls Project" is an international grassroots effort to raise both money and awareness in the fight to end hunger. The St. Vincent de Paul Baltimore Empty Bowls event is the largest area fundraiser to exclusively address hunger in our community.
Guests come for an afternoon of soup, bread, and dessert. Each guest also gets to select a handcrafted bowl – a symbol of hunger in our community and a reminder of those who literally have an empty bowl.
Empty Bowls is soup with lots of friends - new and old
This year we had soups from 18 of Baltimore’s most-loved and generous restaurants and caterers. (We had more than one kind of Maryland Crab soup!)
The cost of an event ticket, $30, is the equivalent of providing almost 15 meals at Beans & Bread, our homeless day resource center where we serve approximately 300 individuals each day.
Empty Bowls is bowls
Every year. All year long. All over Baltimore. Groups of all sorts and sizes get together for bowl making parties. This year, there were more than 50 groups!
Some bowl parties create hand-built bowls, or use potter’s wheels. Many apply their artistic talents to pre-made bowls. Each bowl is a unique work of art.
See all of the 2018 Empty Bowls bowl makers
Empty Bowls is volunteers
How do you serve soup to 1,500 guests? A lot of awesome volunteers make it happen. Thank you!
Empty Bowls is fun
Whether you’re into facepainting at the Kid’s Corner or getting the family together at the photo booth
Empty Bowls is awesome raffle prizes
Thanks to some generous sponsors we raffled off:
- 2 $500 each Food Lion Gift Cards
- 4 Complimentary One Day Disney Park Hopper Passes
- 8 Southwest Airlines Vouchers
- Orioles Tickets compliments of Mullan Construction.
- Bill’s Seafood
- Belvedere & Co
- Chesapeake Food Works
- Copper Kitchen
- La Cuchara
- Miss Shirley’s
- Salt Tavern
- The Big Bean Theory
- The Center Club
- The Food Market
Empty Bowls 2018 Sponsors
- Lieutenant Thomas Joseph Hill Memorial Foundation
- Asbestos Specialists, Inc.
- Baker, Donelson, Bearman, Caldwell & Berkowitz, PC
- Baltimore Gas & Electric Company
- Baltimore Tea and Coffee
- BCS America / Bel Air Auto Auction, Inc.
- Carroll Independent Fuel, LLC
- DAP Products, Inc.
- Friendly Inn Association of Baltimore
- H&S Bakery
- Harkins Builders
- Kelly & Associates Insurance Group / KELLY Payroll (KELLY)
- KJ Installations, Inc.
- Law Offices of Peter T. Nicholl (The)
- Leonard Paper
- M&T Bank
- MECU of Baltimore, Inc.
- Miles & Stockbridge
- Murphy & Dittenhafer Architects
- Niles, Barton & Wilmer, LLP
- North Point Builders
- Pinnacle CNC, Inc.
- Robert Half
- Signal Hill
- St. John, Westminster
- United Parcel Service
- Whiting-Turner Contracting Company (The)
- WYPR 88.1
- St. Joseph Fullerton
- Church of the Resurrection
- Sacred Heart Glyndon
- St. Dominic
- WBAL-TV 11
- Baltimore Sun (The)
- Allegis Group
- Archdiocese of Baltimore
- Baltimore Gas and Electric Company
- Broadmead Ceramics Group
- Brownies 998 and 10042
- Calvert School
- Carroll Manor Elementary School Girl Scouts
- Cathedral Parish
- Cathedral School with Mother Seton School
- Catholic Community of Ascension and St. Augustine
- Christ Child Society
- Dumbarton Kindness Club
- EA Engineering, Science and Technology, Inc., PBC
- Epworth United Methodist
- Fort Garrison Elementary School
- Friends School
- Garrison Forest Shool
- Gilman School
- Girl Scout Troop 3125
- Girl Scout Troop 775
- Gnagey Family
- Habitat America
- Hogan Lovells
- ICS Giving Girls
- Immaculate Conception Girl Scout Cluster
- Immaculate Heart of Mary
- Jemecy School
- Kappa Master Chapter of Beta Sigma Phi
- Karen Sachs Academy of Dance
- Ladies of the Knights
- Ladies of the Towson Elks
- Maryvale Prep
- Mercy Medical Center – Foot and Ankle
- Miles - Stockbridge
- Niles, Barton & Wilmer
- Roland Park Country School
- St Isaac Jogues Confirmation Group
- St John the Evangelist School
- St. Michael Lutheran
- St. Ursula School
- St Andrew's Christian Community Church
- SVdP Conference at St. John's
- T. Rowe Price
- Toby Rivkin, artist
- Towson Presbyterian Church
- Towson United Methodist Church
- Towson University
- Whiting Turner
Head Start is a pre-kindergarten program first launched by the United States government in 1965. The program was designed to aid working-class children in specific areas of their development, including education, nutrition and health services ...read more
Marcus Scott is a caseworker at Beans & Bread, our day shelter in Fells Point. A Baltimore native, Marcus grew up in the Walbrook neighborhood where his family has resided for generations. He describes a childhood ...read more
Meet Sheila, a former client who worked with a case worker at our Beans & Bread center and built a new life.
She says she never knew privileges, growing up in Baltimore’s Belvedere neighborhood. Her ...read more
It’s a hot July day in Baltimore. School has been out for a few weeks now, and the first day of the new school year is still eight weeks away. That’s a recipe ...read more